Sunday, March 9, 2014

A Writer Wrote…

A precious gal wrote, and asked…. 

'I have a colitis and I have dealt with it without knowing for four years, In a month I am getting two procedures I'm scared...I'm even afraid to eat or drink anything I'm scared it will cause the pain. I have medication. I have to take antibiotics for the second time. I was just in the hospital for my birthday party...Fun right... I just need some advice.' 

I am not an expert.  I only share from my own experience.  Forty years, so hears how I responded. I hope it helps others.

"These procedures you will be having are very common, and very necessary to see what might be causing your pain and discomfort.  It sounds as if you have been diagnosed with Colitis based on symptoms, and both of these procedures are necessary, in order to see exactly what is going on through your GI tract, and what is causing your symptoms.  

The colonoscopy is an endoscopic procedure on the large bowel, the length of the colon can be directly viewed by colonoscopy.

The other procedure, down your throat, is more than likely an Upper GI endoscopy, and is a procedure that uses a lighted, flexible endoscope to see inside the upper GI tract.  From the sounds of what you noted your doctor wants to see your entire GI tract to determine how much of your GI tract is infected.  Your doctor would be a great resource to answer your concerns.  If he/she is unavailable, talk with his nurse.  Ask them for any and all the literature they might have on hand at the offices, which could prepare you for these two procedures.

Your flares, if you indeed have Colitis, are caused by inflammation of the colon which causes the muscle layers to go into intermittent spasms and cause colicky or cramp-like pain that comes and goes.  Colitis is an auto-immune disease.  After your doctor has all the test results back, he/she will be able to give you more information about the future, i.e., mediation, diet, exercise, etc.... If you are diagnosed with colitis, you will more than likely be put on mediation which should help with symptoms long term.

Foods can aggregate your condition.  
You will have to be a good detective about what foods, beverages, life style choices (smoking, alcohol, coffee,) to avoid!  It can make it easier to self-manage your disease.  Paying attention to your nutrition is very important to feeling your best with a chronic illness.  If you find that certain foods trigger your bowel symptoms, then you may want to avoid these foods to reduce your symptoms and self-manage your illness.

The Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America has a great website you can view to find out more information, http://www.ccfa.org,  if you think that might help.

Eat smaller portions of food at a time rather than large sit down meals all at one time.   Healthy nutritious foods like protein foods.  Not a lot of high fiber foods like raw veggies.  Try a low residue diet for now. Despite the fact there is no scientific proof, many people with ulcerative colitis have found that one or more of the following foods can trigger their GI symptoms:

• alcohol
• caffeine
• carbonated beverages
• dairy products, if lactose intolerant
• dried beans, peas, and legumes
• dried fruits, berries, fruits with pulp or seeds
• foods containing sulfur or sulfate
• foods high in fiber, including whole-grain products
• hot sauce, pepper
• meats
• nuts, crunchy nut butters
• popcorn
• products containing sorbitol (sugar-free gum and candies)
• raw vegetables
• refined sugar
• seeds
• spicy foods, sauces


Hope that helps.  I will remember to pray for you tonight, (name of person).  Try not to stress.  Rest in what you know, not stressing over what you don't. There is help, and hope.

Blessings,"

Be well friends.  

1 comment:

  1. Hello and I'm 29 with 2yr old you really put my mind at ease. I just found out that I have Colitis . I just would like to thank you for taking the time to explain about it. I truly thank you. Be Blessed as Well.

    ReplyDelete